Barley




A funny thing happens at the end of July or the beginning of August each year.  Suddenly I have trouble thinking of anything but sweaters.  You'd think it'd be too hot to pick up a crochet hook or knitting needles and handle wool but somehow it isn't.  I start thinking of how the little people in my house will be cold in the mornings soon.  In need of an extra layer on round bellies and and little arms.  How their heads should be covered, their ears kept warm.



It makes sense, really.  A sweater does not make itself over night.  And now that I am knitting as well, who knows if the project will come out at all?  Who knows who it will fit?  (okay- I'll admit I am swatching today.)

E received the first thing this year.  Using the left over yarn from his baby blanket (which was one of the first things I crocheted!) I used the Barley pattern from the Tin Can Knits Simple collection. (I have both of the sweaters on my list to do next.  A Flax for Anjali in a cotton blend and a wool Harvest.)  I loved using this pattern and their tutorials.  It was easy and quick.  I finished it in under a week.



Something weird happened and I was twisting the stitches for the first half.  I realized it half way through and fixed how I was knitting.  I actually kind of like the texture difference.  Can you see it?  Any knitters reading and can tell me if it has to do with knitting in the round?  I don't think I've done this to other projects so I am wondering how I managed to be so consistent here...

Anyway, it fits the young man perfectly.  I am hoping he doesn't loose it on the first day it is chilly.  John lost his hat last year so I am thinking of using the pattern again for him.  In a different yarn of course, but they would still be a little matching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robinia

Hooray a Giveaway!