Friday, March 16, 2012

A Monk's Bag

Months ago, maybe six or eight even, I had the thought to make myself a bag in the style of the ones carried by Buddhist monks.  They are so simple, but with a graceful design.  They have room enough for a book or some crochet or an extra pair of pants for your small one in addition to your regular things.  The crossover strap is perfect in every way for a mother who may have to chase a child at any moment.
I found this easy tutorial.  I put it off.  I couldn't decide on the fabric.  I didn't need it that much at the time anyway.  The Bug was still in diapers and then he was in school.  And then a couple weeks ago we decided to pull him out.  So I could be with him all the time again, and I realized I would be wanting this bag.  And I should get on with it.  Really.

P1210382.jpg

It took about an hour total.  Cutting, ironing, sewing.  I changed a couple things.  I cut the straps as whole pieces and shortened them a couple inches.  I skipped the inside pocket in favor or a full panel outside pocket.

 P1210381.jpg

I really like it.  I have the strongest urge to paint the flower on the pocket.  I'm just unsure about the best way to do it.  Any ideas?

P1210383.jpg

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Fabric markers! This is beautiful Anilia. May I commission you to make one for me, too? Just like this one. :)

Jayan said...

Hi, I am the proprietor of Eco Products, & there is a bid demand for Monk bags. If you want to see our products, please visit my website: www.ecosacks.org