Wellness Wednesday: Self Care

mud masks.JPG

This week our little Bug is off exploring Oma and Opa's house, having a great time and enjoying his cousin and the great outdoors.  It offers us the chance to get to some projects that are just too dangerous or involved to handle with a two year old into every little thing.  It also gives us the chance to slow down and do some completely selfish things.  There are plenty of times that taking a break from taking care of everyone and everything else and being super selfish is the perfect thing to do.
 
While we work as fast as we can to take the bathroom apart and put it back together again looking better (hopefully) than ever before we also planned some things to reward all the hard work and effort.  The number one thing I was looking forward to when I knew we'd be sans child for a week was sleeping in.  For real.  Not only have I been able to sleep until I naturally get up (which is only about 8 anyway) but then I don't actually have to do anything right away.  Shall I lay there and read?  meditate?  sleep more?  SURE!  I can do any of those things.  Wow, what a difference that makes!  In addition I got my hair cut, we scheduled massages on Thursday and a really, really nice dinner (courtesy of a dear friends gift!)

When you care for others all the time, when you are always on the go, when your job is stressful and life is moving fast it is so important to take time and care for yourself.  I try to do one "selfish" thing a day.  Three extra minutes in bed, a mud mask before going to sleep, a few more lines in my book, deep breathing with the Bug or a little piece of dark chocolate all to myself really can make a difference.  It is a time to energize and will let you head back into your day with better attitudes and a renewed sense of purpose.  And that benefits everyone.

What simple, small thing could you do this week for yourself?

ps- Don't forget to stop by again tomorrow for another excellent guest post.  Better yet, click the subscribe button an the left and never miss another post!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't even tell you how insanely jealous I am that you get a week to yourselves sans 2 year old!
Theotherjew said…
Anonymous: Cultivate that relationship with people that will take your kid(s) for a week and then challenge yourself to let them go. We and they are having a growing and learning time which happens to involve some fun as well. We will catch up on our sleep another time. They are sleeping very well BTW.
Opa
Alisa Rock said…
I can't believe your husband let you post a picture of him with mask on his face. What a guy!
Kimberly said…
Oh this is wonderful. The concept of Wellness Wednesday is fantastic. I also have a two-year-old and yes, those little tiny moments of self care are immensely beneficial. I love that you took the time to care for yourself and sleep while your little one was off on an adventure. So important!

Popular posts from this blog

Robinia

Hooray a Giveaway!