Loot and Inspiration

I have been the recipient of some amazing things the last few weeks. Cindy brought a big box of her grandmother's old sewing things this past weekend. It was full of wonderful things, many of which I actively knew I needed (how often do you get that lucky?!)

loot

The scissors are great, old, heavy, entirely reliable. Almost the moment she gave me the box I had put up the thread holder. Not the day before I had looked in my annoying drawer of thread and thought, "I must do something about this mess!" And then Cindy showed up with all those fantabulous things. And right on top was the thread organizer thing!

thread holder
{You can also see on my inspiration wall a washcloth that Erica knitted? for me for x-mas. It is far to pretty to wash my dirty face. I hung it up instead. Also, that blue thing you can just see the side of Seńor bought me at x-mas. And then there is the embroidery hoop with nothing in it... It is just waiting...}

The books all look cool and I can't wait to dive in. I am sure that Vogue book has tons of great information. But this one has the coolest cover-

stretch and sew

The last thing I want show off should probably have it's own blog, but I am lazy and really should be doing homework. This is the first in what I hope will be a series. When we were at my mother-in-laws I asked
Seńor to draw me a picture to embroider. When he first drew it my thought was, "That is true love." Not only because he drew on demand, but really the picture he came up with. The tree seems to be reaching out to hold and protect the flower and the flower is staring straight at the tree as if not even the sun can distract the flower from the thing it loves. According to Shutter Sisters Thursdays are Love Thursdays. So here you go. This is what love looks like to me, and I hung it over my sewing machine so I can see it whenever I am working.

true love

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmmmmmm-- is that on your wedding silk? Very nice!
Anonymous said…
Oh, and old scissors are the best if you can find some someone loved. I was thinking about getting you a thread organizer, but this is a lovely vintage design that you or I would be hard pressed to find today...unless we made it for ourselves.
Anonymous said…
What a good friend.
erica said…
Yes on the knitting.

I love the picture you stitched, and your little sewing nook is looking cute, comfortable, and quite inspirational. Very nice. =)
I have my grandmother's old thread organizer in storage--one that a neighbor made for her, oh, at least 50 years ago. Treasures :)
Cindy said…
I have such fond memories of my grandma making dresses for me when I was a little girl. I'm glad you will be able to use them to create beautiful things.

Popular posts from this blog

Robinia

Hooray a Giveaway!