Ms. Austen

We have been going a mile a minute since the weather has turned.  Outside as much as possible and running, jumping and riding.  The Bug wore holes in shoes riding his rocket back and forth to the playground.  I've been feeling melancholy with the news from Japan and trying to keep focused on the here and now.  School is going so fast and offering so much information.  I am starting to wonder how much space is in my brain anyway.  I am feeling quite ambivalent about everything except crocheting and sewing.   At least with those things I know I really want to do things.  I even finished crocheting a tank top last night.

flower shadow

One of the things I always go to when I am feeling lost or confused is Jane Austen.  Weirdly, I only started reading her books about three years ago.  I started with Pride and Prejudice.  I think that is how you determine which of her books is your favorite.  The one you start with is the most special to you.  Last night I watched the movie for about the millionth time while crocheting to clear my mind.  I know lots of people don't like this version and I am okay with that.  I love how beautiful it is, I love the music, I love the actors.  You don't have to, but you can't change my mind and I am not interested in the conversation.  Especially after last night.  I decided to watch it with the director's commentary.  I was a little worried he would spoil it in some way.  Instead, he put words to some of the things I have felt watching it and reassured me how devoted he was to the story.  And pointed out things I hadn't ever noticed.  It was very cool.  Today I still feel a little lost and overwhelmed but I am comforted too.

Finding Balance

Comments

Theotherjew said…
I too have watched (parts of) the Austen chronicles many times, sometimes nightly. I have no idea what they are talking about but the visual is engaging and the costumes are uncomfortable looking.

It does not, however, keep me in the here and now. More like the then and there.
diber said…
Even though it's not Colin Firth (grin), I still really appreciated a lot about that version, too. for instance, I think the mother was a better interpretation.
Alisa Rock said…
Love the boots! I'll have to read some Austen. Here I am, an English major, and never have read any of the books.
Kimberly said…
I have not yet seen this version and now I must! The embroidery on the first picture is absolutely stunning. Hope your creations bring you peace and clarity.

Popular posts from this blog

Robinia

Hooray a Giveaway!

Loot and Inspiration