K pants


 Another successful Big Clothes, Small Clothes garment!  I made the muslin for these last summer after looking at the Tessuti blog about them and obsessing.  They weren't quite perfect and I felt unequal to the challenge of adjusting them (the problem was in the bum.  It is hard to see your bum in the garment and make adjustments without twisting and causing more problems.)  This year, I've gained a little weight, and when I finally decided to give it a go, the muslin fit pretty perfectly.  


I'd seen them made in different printed fabrics and I felt like that might hide imperfections in the fit.  The volume of these pants is what drew me in, but I already feel self-conscious about having short, round legs.  Our relationships with our bodies are complicated.  While sewing gives us a certain amount of freedom, it also forces us to look at how our bodies don't fit pattern blocks.  Anyway- I digress, but this is a thing I know we are all confronted with as we sew and make adjustments.

Like an insane person, I picked a complicated grided pattern fabric with about a thousand ways to not be able to match up lines.  What can I say, it was love at first sight!  Robert Kaufman Essex cotton/linen blend is really great for pants.  In the end, I made zero adjustments.  I tried to cut the pieces from the same places in the fabric so that whatever happened with the lines, that same thing would be mirrored on the other side.  And there are places they match up, but I tried not to be too obsessive over them.  I added another grid fabric for the pocket lining because I couldn't help myself.


I'd make these again, a touch longer, in a medium-weight denim.  Maybe a railroad stripe?  They are comfortable and maybe man repellers, but what do I care about that?  I wore them to my friend's art opening the other night and felt just perfect. And because if you are thinking about making these you might be trying to pick sizes I will tell you I made the K size 1 and my measurements are w-29", h-39", and I have a 27" inseam.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robinia

Hooray a Giveaway!

Loot and Inspiration