Shirt (Dress) i

     I've made a number of garments from the book Big Clothes, Small Clothes and I have loved each one (okay, except the elastic waist pants, those were a disaster on me.) Lately, I have been obsessed with the shirt dress from Alex Mill but it is outside my budget by about $160.  And I knew I could make something similar enough.

    I had already made the "I" pattern and knew I liked it.  The sleeve structure of the I is closer to the sleeve structure on the inspiration but I didn't want the added width for this version.  Going with size 1 of the (little) "i" pattern gave me a better fit at the shoulder.  I added a slash and spread to give me about 7 more inches at the hem (and 4-5 at the hip) and extended it to the length in the description from the inspiration dress. Unfourtunatly, I'm short as hell, so I chopped two inches off the front at the end.  I didn't bother with the pocket or even buttons because I knew I wouldn't wear this one open and I didn't want to deal with the button process just for looks.  The dress has no pockets (horrible, I know!) because I did not think the drape of the fabric could support them. 
    I'd really like to take a collar making class because they are never perfect.  The whole time I was making this dress I was doubting the outcome, but I think it came out just fine.  The sleeves don't set in just the way I'd like them to at the back, but again, after wearing the dress, I don't think it is a real problem.  The fabric is woven and acts kind of like double gauze but without the crinkly fuss.
    The dress was done over two days with just a little stressing that I was making something unwearable along the way.  I'm glad I stuck with it.

    This is the way I came out, and I love wearing it open like a duster or closed like a dress.  I made this one last summer.  I've made both the large and small versions of the blazer, the large v-neck dress, and I have plans for the K pants next.  It is a great book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robinia

Hooray a Giveaway!

Loot and Inspiration